This past weekend I decided to hold off the 1.0 commercial release of AgileAgenda until the AIR stuff is finalized. Seemed like a pretty easy decision to make since I'd hate to screw over customers with an expiring AIR beta or something radically changing and breaking some important feature. Plus it just felt wrong to release an app that runs on a beta runtime.
Any other commercial AIR apps out there? What are you guys planning? I'm curious if anyone decided the earlier release date was worth the risk.
And plus, this gives me more time to work on the application. I started work on a "spreadsheet" component to replace the datagrid in my task-editor. I really hate the datagrid and it's limitations so it'll be interesting to see if I can do better. I think I can since the datagrid was really hampered by two conflicting goals. The desire to make it easy to use, and the desire to make it powerful. Some features I want to put in:
- Ability to have partially entered records that don't get added to your underlying datasource until they're "valid".
- Copy, Paste, and delete across rows, columns, etc.
- A hierarchy of data along with collapsible headings. (Check out flexlib if you just need this feature)
- More Intelligently create item renderers and pass them more information about what's going on.
- Let item editors be bigger than the cell they live in.
- Better keyboard navigation.
Didn't mean for this post to turn into a description of the new component, but I guess it did. Time to update the title :)